About this Blog

This blog is mostly about my thoughts and observations. A lot of them are about knitting lately.


I've been getting ideas for knitting things lately. The free patterns for some of them are here. Even though I've been knitting using patterns for a long time, it can be hard to write up my design in a way that other knitters can understand. If you have questions, just send a message to Madbee (me) at Ravelry.com .


Monday, January 28, 2013

Yarns with Long Repeats

A while ago I made the happy discovery that I could use yarns with long repeats for entrelac.  I like the idea of not bothering with changing colors and I really like the random surprise of new colors.  Sometimes there can be knots in many of these yarns.  I have found knots once in a while, but if they are tiny I ignore them.  If there is a major knot and there is some wool in the yarn, I cut it and spit felt it. 

With entrelac or mitered patterns, the knitter can always manipulate colors to get certain effects.  Picking out yarns with repeats, I usually avoid ones with a sudden very dark color in otherwise lighter shades, unless I especially want that effect as in a contrasting stripe.  Often I'll look up the yarn on Ravelry in the color I'm considering, and go to the projects for that color.  It's not foolproof because dye lots can vary, but it gives a me a love/hate impression.


Chroma by Knitpicks
This yarn comes in fingering and worsted weight.  It's a 70/30 blend of wool and nylon.  This yarn is usually only available by mail from Knitpicks, so it's a good idea to check finished projects to see how the colors work up.  It's a very soft single ply and is pretty economical.  
worsted- 198 yards
fingering- 396 yards



These are two examples of Chroma in fingering. 

This is a free pattern from Chrystal Palace Yarns.  It is mitered and made in one piece, in Impressionist, one of my recent favorite Chroma colors.





 
The second is a beautiful free entrelac pattern, Dianna, in U-pick, color that has been discontinued. 



 




Berroco Lodge

Lodge is a very soft yarn, a blend of 47% wool, 47% acrylic, and 6% rayon.  It is considered bulky weight but it is not as bulky as many other yarns.  I have used it with worsted weight yarn and it worked well.  I think the colorways have a softness too.  (I have linked to Ravelry but often looking in a yarn store or at some of the websites that sell online will show additional colors.) 


This is a scarf I made using Lodge and worsted weight Cascade Pure Alpaca.  The pattern is a free doubleknit download from Ravelry called From My Heart.  Doubleknitting produced a thick reversible fabric.




Mochi
Crystal Palace Mochi comes in different weights and 
really pretty colors.  Very soft.  

It's lovely for entrelac and mitered designs.













Universal Classic Shades comes in worsted and bulky weight.  A wool blend but very unshrinkable.  It is available in many nice colorways from very bright to subtle and also is available  in solids.  

No comments:

Post a Comment